Healthier Packed Lunches
Food Allergen Rules
You may be aware that the EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation No. 1169/2011 came into force from December 13, 2014.
This legislation requires any caterer providing “loose food” (such as school meals and sandwiches prepared and wrapped on site in school kitchens) to declare the presence of allergenic ingredients used in any food and drink served.
If any one of 14 allergens are used as deliberate ingredients then these need to be declared either in writing (e.g. on school menus or a chalkboard in the dining hall) or through signposting directing pupils/parents to where and how to obtain the information in writing or orally.
There are 14 allergens that need to be identified when they are used as ingredients. These are:
- Cereals containing gluten – namely wheat (spelt and khorasen wheat), rye, barley and oats
- Crustaceans like prawns, crabs, lobster and crayfish
- Nuts, namely almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio, cashew and macadamia (Queensland) nuts
- Celery (and celeriac)
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites, where added and at a level above 10mg/kg in the finished product. This can be used in the preservation of dried fruit
- Lupin, which includes lupin seeds and flour and can be found in types of bread, pastries and pasta
- Molluscs, like clams, mussels, whelks
We have been carrying out training sessions in recent weeks with our heads of kitchen and other key staff and have full details on all the allergens used in any of the dishes being served in your school available on site and will in the coming weeks include the information on the My School Lunch website.
Contact: Michael Hales
Tel: 020 7364 5153
Free School Meals
The Department for Education (DfE) has developed a centrally-funded national voucher scheme to support schools with delivering free school meals (FSM) while schools are closed to the majority of students. If you believe you are eligible to FSM you can apply by following the links below.
There is further information on applying for Free School Meals on the Tower Hamlets website.
If you are unsure if you are eligible or would like any support please come in to the school. We are able to check your eligibility and support you in completing the necessary application forms.